Oliver was called to the Bar in 2012, and has practised at 20 Essex Street since September 2013 after completing his pupillage year under the guidance of David Lewis QC, Malcolm Jarvis and Sean Snook.
Since commencing practice he has appeared in the Court of Appeal, High Court (the Commercial Court, QBD and Chancery Division) and various County Courts. He has also represented clients in LMAA, LCIA, SCC, SIAC, HKIAC, GAFTA, FOSFA, ICC and ad hoc arbitral proceedings. He is regularly instructed to act in the Commercial Court on various arbitration applications, including section 67, 68 and 69 appeals.
The subject matter of Oliver’s work is broad, but the vast majority of his cases involve jurisdictional or other conflicts of laws issues. He has particular experience in anti-suit injunctions, and acted in The Yusuf Cepnioglu  3 All ER 697, one of the leading cases on the role comity plays in the grant of such remedies. In keeping with Chambers’ core areas of practice, Oliver accepts instructions in all areas of dry shipping, commodities, and general commercial work. He has a strong non-marine and marine insurance/reinsurance practice, and is co-authoring the new (4th) edition of Michael Miller’s “Marine War Risks”. Oliver is regularly instructed in shipbuilding and construction disputes, in relation to the latter especially in the energy sector.
Whilst Oliver is regularly led by QCs from within and outside Chambers, a substantial proportion of his work is as sole counsel, often in multi-million dollar disputes.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Oliver trained and practised as a medical doctor. Although he has now left medicine behind him, he has a particular interest in commercial and insurance cases which fall within the pharmaceutical, biotech and medical devices industries. He recently acted for the successful claimant in Fujifilm Kyowa Kirin Biologics Company Ltd v Abbvie Biotechnology Ltd  EWHC 2204 (Pat) which concerned a challenge to the Court’s jurisdiction. He is currently acting for a large pharmaceutical company in a Commercial Court action.
Outside of these more industry specific cases, Oliver’s scientific training leaves him well disposed towards technical disputes that involve issues of (bio)chemistry, physics, and engineering.
He has spent time on secondment at major international law firms both in London and in Hong Kong, and regularly gives talks on wide variety of litigation and arbitration related topics.
His recent Court cases as junior Counsel include:
- Oldendorff GmbH & Co KG v Sea Powerful II Special Maritime Enterprises  EWHC 3212 (Comm) (led by Michael Ashcroft QC) [Acted for the successful Defendant in this dispute which concerned the proper construction of a letter of indemnity issued for the discharge of cargo without presentation of the original bill of lading]
- Fujifilm Kyowa Kirin Biologics Company Ltd v Abbvie Biotechnology Ltd  EWHC 2204 (Pat) (led by Thomas Raphael QC) [Jurisdiction challenge, intellectual property]
- Gunvor SA v Crugas Yemen Ltd [2016, unrep] (Commercial Court, led by David Lewis QC) [Anti-suit injunction, commodities]
- The Yusuf Cepnioglu  3 All ER 697 (Court of Appeal, led by David Lewis QC) [Anti-suit injunction dispute, shipping]
- Aline Tramp SA v Jordanian International Insurance Company  EWHC 1317 (Comm) (led by Michael Coburn QC) [Anti-suit injunction]
- Sarpd Oil International Ltd v Addax Energy SA  CP Rep 24;  BLR 301;  2 Costs LO 227 (Court of Appeal, led by David Lewis QC) [Security for costs, commodities]Ruby Roz Plc v The Republic of Kazakhstan [2016, ongoing] (led by Zachary Douglas QC and James Evans) [s67 jurisdiction appeal]
- The Yusuf Cepnioglu  1 Lloyd’s Rep 567 (Commercial Court, led by David Lewis QC) [Anti-suit injunction, shipping]
His recent Court cases as sole Counsel include:
- UECC v Dulantzi Metals [2016, ongoing] (Admiralty Court) [Shipping]
- Geogas Trading SA v Addax Energy SA  (Commercial Court) [Commodities]
- Gunvor Belgium NV v Kaii 12 NV  EWHC 3150 (Comm) [Commodities]
- Shannon v THV Locobouw  EWHC 1267 (QBD) [Jurisdiction challenge, Brussels 1 Regulation]
- Re Indemnity Guarantee Assurance Limited  BPIR 1203 [Insolvency, insurance]